Visualizing the deployment gap in cars, carbon and more

Executive Editor
Source: Rhodium Group

The climate provisions of the Build Back Better bill would give a boost of anywhere between 39% and 75% in key clean energy technologies, according to data by Rhodium Group, an independent research group.

Compared to current policy, which includes the recently enacted $1.2 infrastructure law, the Build Back Better policy would, by 2030, mean:

  • 43% more renewable electricity capacity (267 gigawatts compared to 381 gigawatts).
  • 39% more carbon capture capacity installed (69 million tons of captured CO2 compared to 96 million).
  • 75% more electric cars sold (24 million versus 42 million).
  • Electric vehicles would have a 16% larger share of total vehicle sales (34% versus 50%).

Without the BBB, it will be much harder for the U.S. to meet President Biden’s goal of halving U.S. emissions from 2005 levels by 2030, according to John Larsen, a partner with the Rhodium Group.

The group had found the BBB could get the U.S. as much as 50% of the way toward that goal, but that analysis looked at an earlier version of the bill, which included more stringent measures, notably a clean electricity performance program.

Even if specific goals are slipping further out of reach, climate change is the type of problem you should never stop trying to solve.

As the actor Humphrey Bogart is quoted having said, “things are never so bad they can’t be made worse.”